Neil Island, Andaman

Wednesday 20 May 2009

Mussoorie

Mussoorie has always been close to me. Bhaiya completed his high school from boarding school here and I have pleasant memories of the trip we used to make to drop Bhaiya. The last time I was here I was alone. I wanted to know if I can enjoy it that way - and I did.

Tourist map of Mussoorie (Not to scale)

This time, however, I was with Mom and Dad and it was much more fun as we explored places we used to go in old times. Mussoorie is the most accessible hill station to Delhi. A morning Shatabdi arrives at Dehradun around 12.30 and within 2 hours one can reach Mussoorie taking a taxi.

The serpentine road to Mussoorie

On the first day we settled in the familiar Jain Guest House. We were to stay here for a good four days and hence there was nothing to hurry about. Our purpose was to breath fresh air for a while. In the evening we strolled on the Mall Road as slowly as possible. The next day we went for Gun Hill.

View of Mussoorie from Gun Hill

Dad was already complaining about the 9 times price rise since he last bought the tickets to the ropeway. We avoided Kempty Fall in our trip. We couldn't bear to see what commercialization had done to once a pristine waterfall.

Mussoorie from Landour at night

Next day we walked to the other end of Mall Road known as Library End. Most of the new hotels and restaurants were coming up in this end of Mussoorie only. We had our lunch and then we walked around. Coming back to our abode, I decided to go for Laltibba. It is the highest point in Mussoorie. I wrote a blog there and posted it. It goes like:

Mussoorie at sunset from Lal Tibba

"Writing a blog on my mobile at 7000 ft above sea level with a stunningly colourful view of himalayas in the background and bun-butter-tea in front of me. Can life be any better? Unfortunately yes :( and thats cos I am missing good company ..."

Sunset from Lal Tibba, looks like Mordor

The next day our train was scheduled late night and so all the three of us wake up late and paid a final visit to Mussoorie. Ma spent time in a temple on Mall Road. The height at which it was made kept the place windy. We were in Dehradun by 2 and had to wait for an hour for our train.

No comments:

Post a Comment