Neil Island, Andaman

Saturday 29 December 2007

Alappuzha

Trip: Kodaikanal > Munnar > Periyar > Alappuzha > Kovalam

We reached Alappuzha by afternoon through a road which flaunted large green fields on both sides. Alappuzha or Alleppey is famous for backwaters. As a city that runs on tourism, Alappuzha is a decent place to stay for a couple of days. We stayed in. The evening was dedicated to a boat-ride to the lovely backwaters. The boat spends some 2-3 hours completing a round. The houseboats were extremely costly, priced at close to 10k per night, as December was the peak tourist season.

Backwaters Ride, Alleppey

In evening we located a pub close to our hotel and consequently the day ended in drinks. We had planned three days for Alappuzha. On the second morning only we had no clue what to do. The shore was nearby but then our next destination was Kovalam which is a beach town. We decided to go for Athirapally Waterfalls. It is a huge fall some 50 kilometers from Cochin. We were not expecting more than sight of a work of nature. It turned out to be the most eventful day of our trip.

Athirapally Waterfalls

We had a nice cool bath in the lake on a warm day. Vikash showed some philanthropism in arranging towel and bermudas for all of us. That was the good part. The bad part started when my mobile slipped from my pocket and settled at the bottom of the lake. Before I could pull it out, it was all soaked. I was flabbergasted. Both these old friends of mine helped me feel worse and when I tried to convince them that I don't keep many vauable things with me, I realized that my precious watch was also missing. It took some valour and courage to bring that watch back from the other side of lake where I dropped it.

Barricade, Athirapally Waterfalls

My mobile and I recovered the next day and we moved to Kovalam  Our plan was to booze hard on the eve of New Year at the beautiful beach. We managed to fulfil our wishes partially.

No comments:

Post a Comment